Friday, October 27, 2006

winning streak

At the start of the month I scored an invite to the launch of a new dvd release - Prisoner: Cell Block H - Volume 1 and Volume 2 - the first 32 episodes of one of my favourite soaps (Prisoner, set inside a women's prison, was produced from 1979-86. The Cell Block H part of the title was added for international audiences and to avoid confusion with an earlier British series called The Prisoner). To secure the invitation (one of 15) all I had to do was be one of the first people to respond to an email. Because I didn't recognise the name of the sender I nearly missed out. If I'd taken a friend's advice I would've deleted the email (unread) and been none the wiser. Curiosity obviously got the better of me and in this instance I'm glad. A return email informed me I had been one of the lucky ones. The best thing about the launch was the screening of a previously unseen doco on the series - and the free booze. Val Lehman, who starred as Bea Smith in Prisoner was there to introduce the doco and answer questions afterwards. A fun night...

I've already posted about winning one of 5 double passes to see Holding the Man. Once again it was a simple case of being first to respond to an email.

Now, I don't sit at the computer all day long. Often I'm out and about - especially when I'm working, so timing is everything. Yesterday I picked up a copy of SX magazine (a free, weekly, gay, street paper), which I brought home and started reading. There was an interview with Val Lehman promoting the new Prisoner dvds (and an in-store appearance she's making tomorrow afternoon). At the end of the article I saw SX was giving away copies of both dvd volumes to the first 5 people who emailed the magazine with the answer to a question (Q: Name the prison Bea Smith was transferred to when she left the series. A: Barnhurst. Easy for fans like me). It was late in the day by the time I discovered this latest competition, so I wasn't all that confident of success, but this morning I had the good news. I'd been lucky once again. With the Melbourne Cup coming up, I hope this winning streak continues!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nash, I'd heard Prisoner was coming out on DVD and thought immediately of you. I went to the Famous Spiegeltent on Saturday night and there was a young lady there looking exactly like an inmate of Prisoner, hair, tight highwaisted overalls, checked shirt - it looked very fashionable!

October 27, 2006 9:32 PM  
Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
Wow, you really are on a winning streak! Do you think these should be added to your Coincidence File? Timing seems to have been a major factor in all of them. Congratulations! Do you think you can send a bit of your good luck across the ocean to me?

October 28, 2006 10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Nash,

I think there is a little leprechaun in the corner of your room. Sometimes he whispers in your ear and at others he tinkers with your lucky bone. If you lie on your bed and squint your eyes towards the left, you can see him. His rosy cheeks light up when he is spraying you with good luck.

October 28, 2006 8:10 PM  
Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
If what Sheila says is correct, would you send your little leprechaun to my house when you’re through with him? I could use a bit of good luck myself!

October 29, 2006 9:52 AM  
Blogger nash said...

Hi Jexy,
Maybe she was an escapee? (I didn't realise the Spiegeltent was still going)

Hi Miss Litzi,
Sending a bit of good luck now!

Hi Sheila,
Are you sure that's good luck he's spraying me with? Sure does taste funny!

October 30, 2006 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page
web site traffic tracking
Matchmaking Services