Wednesday, November 08, 2006

bedside manner

Thirty years ago today The Young Doctors debuted on Australian TV. Back then our family still had a black & white telly and I clearly remember seeing an episode in colour for the first time (at my next-door neighbours' house). I was surprised to discover the nurses' uniforms weren't white at all, but a lovely shade of lilac. No doubt this fuelled my frustration with my parents for taking so long to buy a colour TV! This popular medical soapie screened for half an hour, Monday to Friday at 6 o'clock (at least in Melbourne where I grew up) and ran for 6 1/2 years. It was lucky to last that long. Early on in the piece it was axed and not meant to continue after the initial 13 week run, but a last minute reprieve saw it go on (and on) until 1983. With a total of 1396 episodes in the can The Young Doctors went on to break the record held by Number 96 (1218). These daze of course some of our soapies run for 20+ years...

The thing about the The Young Doctors was its reliance on romance rather than serious medical storylines, which probably explains why its cast was loaded with good looking actors and models (some, not surprisingly, with questionable acting ability). I certainly had secret crushes on a few of the doctors...

Like any soap, the cast included some talented veteran performers (Gwen Plumb, Alfred Sandor) alongside the fledgling stars n starlets. Many went on to successful careers in other soapies (Judy McBurney, Paula Duncan, Lynda Stoner, Peta Toppano, John Walton, Cornelia Frances, Rebecca Gilling, Alan Dale, Peter Bensley et al) whilst others have disappeared (sadly about half a dozen have died). Oh, and one young doctor ended up in my bed, but that's another story...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Nash,

Its nice to see that you havent had any more trouble with your posts (touch wood with John Edwards) anyway, I just thought I'd let you know my first experience with color telly. My Dad came home from work in shock one night. He said that he saw a color television on in someones house (obviously peeping into someones loungeroom) and that the Mum from Lost in Space had red hair! Red hair! I screamed, and couldnt believe it. I always thought that Mrs. Robinson had blonde hair. All my realities had come shattering down.

As far as The Young Doctors, I loved that show but I didnt stick with it (you are so faithfull to some shows you ol' softy). I thought Id mention that most of the shows I watch regularly now are of the medical variety. All Saints is great. Im in love with at least 2 doctors. And I watch Greys Anatomy. Im seriously in love with 2 doctors and a vet in that.

November 08, 2006 1:40 PM  
Blogger nash said...

Hands off Dr Sean from All Saints (the pommy doc), Sheila, he's mine!

November 08, 2006 2:22 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

'Oh, and one young doctor ended up in my bed, but that's another story...'

In intriguified. Uh-oh - it wasn't Mark Holden was it?!

November 08, 2006 9:52 PM  
Blogger nash said...

Ewww! NO, any dalliance with Mark Holden would definitely remain under wraps!

November 08, 2006 10:29 PM  
Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
“The Young Doctors” sounds similar to our “General Hospital” which as been airing for about 45 years. All the doctors and nurses are stunningly gorgeous and the story lines are about their romances and family relationships. It started off in the days of black and white T.V. and when it changed to color, it was a surprise to see what we’d all imagined was totally askew.

If only our own lives were like soap operas were everything eventually works out for the best….

November 09, 2006 5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nash, pommy doc will have to spread his bedside manner around a little bit further!

November 10, 2006 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page
web site traffic tracking
Matchmaking Services