Monday, June 26, 2006

insatiable fantasy

Weeks ago I secretly bought two tickets to see Darren Hayes in concert at the Opera House on July 4th. At the time I wasn't even sure who I'd give the other ticket to. See, there's something I don't like about Darren Hayes (formerly one half of Savage Garden), but at the same time, there's something I find very alluring about him. I don't understand. Maybe that's why I kept it secret. I do find him sexy and talented, but there's something phoney and potentially cruel about him. At least that's my perception. I've never met the guy, so what would I know?

I wasn't sure whether I wanted to ask Jon to the concert, even though we're acting like a couple (spending lots n lots of time together). And now I confess that the reason for this - my delay in asking him - is because I've been harbouring some secret fantasy where Darren Hayes becomes as intrigued by me as I am by him. In my fantasy I would meet him after the show when a mutual friend introduces us (what were you expecting? A scenario where a roadie picks me out of the crowd and takes me backstage? Hmm, I ain't groupie trash). See, this "mutual friend" does exist (he is going to the concert) and with this in mind I just let my imagination go a-wandering...

Then over the weekend, Jon casually said he'd like us to go to the Opera House some time. My response was something like, "well maybe next week", but I didn't elaborate because I still wasn't sure if I'd ask him. And even if I did, I wasn't sure he'd be interested. I had an opportunity to sus things out when we were out and about somewhere and I heard Savage Garden playing (most likely a shopping centre), but I let the moment pass.

On my way home tonight I was walking up Oxford Street, Darlinghurst when who should be coming towards me - Darren Hayes (yakking on his mobile phone) - and no one was paying any attention ('cept me of course). And this gave me an opportunity when I later spoke to Jon. "I saw Darren Hayes on Oxford Street.." I told him. It turns out, yes, Jon would be interested in seeing him in concert (but not if he had to pay) blah blah blah. I've kept it all a bit cryptic with Jon. He doesn't know how long I've had the tickets or how much I paid. I even hinted that maybe Darren Hayes gave me the tickets for free after I saw him in Oxford Street tonight!

The funny thing is, when I saw Darren Hayes in the street tonight, he didn't look nearly as potent as I'd imagined. I'd probably still bonk him though. I'll let you know...

6 Comments:

Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
Great post! Sometimes we build or create an individual up in our mind as being terrific, wonderful, or good looking to the point where we lose our sense of reality about the person. Perhaps when you crossed paths with Darren Hayes this evening, you saw for yourself that he’s a human being, like everybody else. “He didn’t look nearly as potent as I’d imagined”. A mere mortal…..

Good luck with the bonking him part of your fantasy!!

June 27, 2006 9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nash, why do I keep thinking we were seperated at birth? I have similar fantasies about celebs and even follow it through to the meeting and then the inevitable relationship - and then sometimes leaving them and breaking their heart. I thought that this demented side of me would have calmed down by now - but no luck. Because of the coincidence phenomena in your life you actually get to walk past them in the street though.

June 27, 2006 12:10 PM  
Blogger nash said...

Hi Miss Litzi,
I guess I never even had a sense of reality to begin with! I'm curious as to why I get fixated on some people apart from the obvious physical attraction

Hi Sheila,
It's knowing that I can't possibly be alone in my wayward fantasies that gives me the pluck to share them

Thanks to both of you for your comments

June 27, 2006 2:38 PM  
Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
What’s reality? It’s a subjective call for each of us, I think. It’s very easy to see someone and start fanaticizing about them; I know I do it quite a lot. In my case, it stems from wishing I had a different, more glamorous, exciting life and "knowing" that everyone else’s existence is somehow better than mine. Perhaps it’s a case of “the grass is always greener…….”?

June 28, 2006 3:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 13, 2006 1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 18, 2006 5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page
web site traffic tracking
Matchmaking Services