Monday, June 26, 2006

coincidence file > booksellers

Since living in Sydney I've worked in three different bookstores (though not for a while) and on Sunday I came into contact with former colleagues from all three. I was in a recently opened second hand bookstore on Oxford Street, Paddington when I realised that the girl working there was someone I worked with briefly in my last bookshop. When I came out of that second hand bookshop I walked past the shop where we'd worked together (also on Oxford Street) and I noticed that the girl behind the counter was a girl I'd worked with at my second bookshop. Then when Jon and I got to an inner west shopping centre we were wandering around the supermarket aisles when I almost ran into my former boss from the first bookshop I'd worked in. And I didn't say hello to any of them

5 Comments:

Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
Sheila’s so right; you do seem to have the market of the phenomena cornered. It’s totally eerie that you ran into three former colleagues in one day. Any reason in particular why you chose not to speak to any of them?

I love to read and have always thought working in a bookstore would be a great job. Did you enjoy it?

June 27, 2006 9:39 AM  
Blogger nash said...

The first bookstore I worked in was a dream job, the second was okay most of the time, but the third was awful...

It gets complicated, so the short answer is, the only former colleague I was interested in speaking to was working in my least favourite shop and I don't think I've stepped foot inside there since I stopped working there

June 27, 2006 2:45 PM  
Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
There’s shops that I used to patronize that I will not longer step foot inside anymore, so I understand your wanting to avoid unpleasant memories and environments.

I don’t think working in a “big box” book store would be much fun or mentally stimulating. I’ve always envisioned working in an old, dusty shop that’s off the beaten path, filled with rare, antiquated leather bound First Edition books. There probably aren’t too many of these stores in existence anymore, as the Border’s and Walden’s seem to gobble up the small, independent dealers or force them out of business due to bankruptcy.

June 28, 2006 2:54 AM  
Blogger nash said...

Hi Miss Litzi,
Yeah, I LOVE those old second hand book stores. You're right, sadly, they are disappearing

June 28, 2006 9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 13, 2006 5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page
web site traffic tracking
Matchmaking Services