Tuesday, May 15, 2007

tagged by a penguin

I arrived home last night after an evening of theatre, dinner n drinks with friends to discover I'd been tagged by Sam over at Adventures of Queerpenguin. At first I really did gasp out loud, but then I warmed to the idea of being coerced into posting. So, here goes:

1. I love the number 8. I was born at home and 8 was the street number of our house. All I really know about my birth is that I was 2 weeks overdue, the umbilical cord was around my neck and the midwife was eager for a cup of tea. If I knew what time I was born I'd get my personal astrology chart done, but my parents can't remember. My Mum can only tell me that it was early in the morning. Some years ago I was pleased to learn the number 8 is also the symbol for infinity

2. As a kid I was sent along to ballroom dancing lessons. I was 10 or 11 at the time and I excelled in competition dancing; I received medals, trophies and ribbons in various categories and was also awarded something like "most promising newcomer", but I was too embarrassed to continue once I got to High School so I dropped out. Now I watch 'Dancing with the Stars' and can only wonder...

3. I watched lots n lots of television when I was a kid. I also bought TV Week magazine and kept scrapbooks. One of my favourite shows was (and still is) 'Prisoner'. When actress Fiona Spence announced she was leaving the series I wrote a letter to TV Week saying how much I would miss her as the hard-line screw Vera 'Vinegar Tits' Bennett. The letter was published (under the pen name 'Prisoner Fan'), but for some reason I never kept a copy. I've written other letters since then to various publications, but this was the first. Some years later my first ever boyfriend collected some of his old scrapbooks from his Mum's house and in one of them was a copy of my letter. Neither of us knew each other at the time the letter was written

4. During the 1980s I had an agent. In between being a Uni student or dole bludger I worked as an extra in many films, television series and mini-series. I did lots of episodes of 'Neighbours' including when it first aired on the 7 Network. When the show moved over to TEN I was seen hanging around the background in the daze of Kylie Minogue, Jason Donovan, Guy Pearce and Craig McLachlan et al. I still have some old video tapes around here somewhere

5. I'm a hoarder. I went to a '70s retro themed housewarming party once and wore my old platform school shoes. They barely fitted, but I squeezed into them in the name of authenticity. I drank too much and danced too much and the next day the toenails on my two big toes were black. Eventually both toenails fell off and although they grew back they've been fucked ever since - kinda like my Mum's (though hers are naturally like that)

6. I have an older brother and a younger sister. When we were growing up they both had white blond(e) hair and blue eyes whereas I've always had black hair and dark brown eyes. People would often comment about the striking difference between me and my siblings and suggest my father was really the milkman. These daze my brother is balding, my sister dyes her hair to keep it blonde and I get told I look like Antonio Banderas, Michael Hutchence or (ahem) Mr Bean

7. I've lost count of the number of jobs I've had. Unlike my brother and sister who've had the same jobs for years n years I've done lots of different things to earn a crust. One job I had a couple of years ago was a stint at Bodyline (a gay sex on premises venue here in Sinny). The pay was lousy and the hours weren't much better and sometimes I would've rather been serving a sexy customer horizontally than over the counter. I haven't told my parents about that position job (yet)

8. I thought I'd have kids. And I do, but other people made them. I have four god children living in Melbourne and a sponsor child living in Africa. I've known the mother of my two godsons (brothers aged 9 & 7) since my first year at High School and the mother of my goddaughters (twins aged 2) since my final year at High School. The boy I sponsor is about to turn 17 and has been in my life since he was 12. One of the things I love about him is that he loves dancing. He lives in Malawi and all I can say is it's a good thing Madonna never tried to get her hands on him...

Now I have to follow the rules and tag 8 other people, so... Campbell, Denys, Ian, Marc, Miss Litzi, Nico, Sheila and (The Other) Andrew consider yourselves tagged!

16 Comments:

Blogger Campbell said...

Excuse my ignorance Nash, but I'm going to require some guidance on the rules of this.

May 15, 2007 8:26 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

It never was quite the same after Vera left. Although, in a way, she was the seedling from which Joan grew. 'Let's bring in a Vera-like character,' brainstormed the writers,'but add corruption and sadistic lesbian tendencies.' And so she was born.

I sometimes wonder if it was Colleen said writers had in mind when Lizzie said to Vera: 'I'm not glad to see you go Miss Bennett. Better the devil you know.' - or whether, somewhere deep down, Joan was already lurking in their evil brains...

I should get out more.

May 15, 2007 9:26 PM  
Blogger nash said...

OK tagees - the link from Queerpenguin to the 'rule book' has stopped working (but you can still click on QP to get an idea of what to do). Basically, you have to do a post telling your readers 8 random things or habits about yourself. Then you have to 'tag' 8 other bloggers out there in the blogosphere...

Hi Sam,
I always hoped they'd bring Vera back so she and Joan could become embroiled in a battle of the bitches. You shouldn't get out more, you should come over n watch all these Prisoner DVDs that I won from SX!

May 15, 2007 9:46 PM  
Blogger Ethan said...

I'll do it but sending the answers directly to you because everyone who reads my blog knows so much about me they'll be like: are you kidding? MORE PERSONAL INFORMATION? (Wait a second, that applies to you most of all! Of course you might be the most curious!)

May 16, 2007 12:18 AM  
Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
Oh bloody hell….I just saw you tagged me! I’ll do my duty and divulge 8 random things and/or habits about myself but I’ve got a rather full day ahead of me, so will work on this when time permits and get it posted eventually.

Oh crickey~~

Your 8 random things made a most interesting post. Mine will no doubt read like a tale to put someone to sleep…b-o-r-i-n-g.

May 16, 2007 2:33 AM  
Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
Crickey! My 8 random things and/or habits are posted. So there!!!

May 16, 2007 5:03 AM  
Blogger nash said...

I know you can all rise to the challenge. It'll be fun, no?

May 16, 2007 8:09 AM  
Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
BLOODY HELL it was fun!

I just realized my post had been out for several hours but for some reason was flagged as not accepting comments. After a great deal of finagling, it's been fixed.

Crikey.

May 16, 2007 9:22 AM  
Blogger The Other Andrew said...

Thanks for the tag pet. I'm not firing on all mental cylinders today, but I'll post some responses soon! Promise.

May 16, 2007 12:36 PM  
Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
I reread this delightful post and decided to put my 2¢ in.

I was forced to take ballroom dancing lessons when I was about 10 or 11 years old as well. I attended a private all-girls school and I think my parents felt it’d be a good idea for me to see what a male of the species looked like. Unlike you, I did not excel in the class; I was the original “two left feet” and was scared shitless of actually having to touch a young man! Do you enjoy dancing now that you’ve passed the “embarrassing teenage years”? Wow, maybe you could’ve been another Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly. Are there “tea dances” in Sydney? They’re quite popular around here but I think it’s mostly older couples who attend...

Even if the children aren’t biologically yours, I’m sure you’re a wonderful “substitute” Dad to your four godchildren. And I think it’s wonderful that you’ve been sponsoring a young man in Africa for the past 5 years. Does he speak English (oops, Australian) or are your letters interpreted both ways? Is the fact that he loves dancing like you another entry in your coincidence file? It sounds like it should be, along with the letter you wrote to TV Week and then discovered your friend had a copy of in his scrapbook years later.

Somewhere along the line, I too have lost count of the number of jobs I’ve held. One boring occupation that earns enough to pay the rent and eat kind of morphs into the next one and the next one, until they all become one big mélange. However, I’ve never worked at anything like “Bodyline”. Is that similar to the “bathhouses” in San Francisco? How long did that position last (pun intended)?

Did you have any sense of a catharsis after writing your thoughts? I thank you again for tagging me. I didn’t feel that way this morning, but the list made me articulate a lot of what’s been brewing in my subconscious for ages and it was a revelation.

May 16, 2007 2:42 PM  
Blogger nash said...

Wow ML, as always I love to know your view on things and you already know my response to your meme...

It's strange, the ballroom dancing thing was something I took a long time to feel comfy about. Now I'll happily get some mileage out of it! I don't remember too many of the dance steps (unfortunately), but I've been known to waltz around the floor at a wedding or some such (being a bit tanked helps). I still love dancing, but don't do it often enough (oh I've just remembered I had tap lessons too - about 10 years ago). The first I ever heard of tea dances was when I met a visiting Canadian guy. They do have gay tea dances here, but I've never been to one (and wouldn't know where to find out)

My sponsor child is learning English, but all of our correspondence is interpreted. He draws pictures for me, which I love. A psychic woman once told me I would meet him

So you've had lots of different jobs too... I forget how long I lasted at the sauna (yep, like a bathhouse), but it was only for a few months - the hours (shift work) were a killer

I did enjoy writing this post, but I was truly shocked to discover I'd been tagged. I look forward to reading the other responses from tagees. I'm not sure we'll get anything out of Sheila...

If we ever meet I can teach you a dance step or two (I only remember a few basics). One, two cha cha cha or would you prefer to tango?

May 16, 2007 3:05 PM  
Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
I NEVER became “comfortable” with the ballroom dancing lessons, but when I started attending functions where dancing was de rigueur, I was glad I’d had them. At least I knew enough to “follow” instead of “lead” and didn’t tromp on my partner’s feet! I’ve always wanted to be like Ann Miller and tap dance my way through life.

What sort of pictures does your sponsor child draw? Once he reaches 18, will he be on his own-considered an adult?

Yes, I’m looking forward to reading the responses from the other “tagees” too. I wondered whether Sheila would go back on “Holiday” when she noticed she’d been “chosen”.

Let’s try a tango; I’d love to fly across the dance floor with a rose between my teeth. Or maybe we could get some of the others to join in and form a Conga Line.

May 17, 2007 3:04 AM  
Blogger FireHorse said...

I don't know what tagging means.

You had platform school shoes! You would of being bashed wearing those at my school Nash.

Now I understand the comment about dancing better than "Justin Melvey".

More things we have in common Nash, Prisoner or watching tv when younger and working in sop's.

Is this going to be a regular thing of sharing more of yourself?

May 17, 2007 9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved reading your answers Nash. I will try and respond to your tagging sooner rather than later. Who knows, it might start a revolution!

May 18, 2007 9:07 AM  
Blogger nash said...

Hi Denys,
If I'd gone to your school I think I'd've been okay coz I've always been a fast runner - even in my platform shoes! For info on what to do now you've been tagged just read the comments for this post. I look forward to reading your response. As for sharing more of myself in the future - I'm sure there'll be more tales, but I think I've said enough for now...

Dear Sheila,
Bring on the revolution!

May 18, 2007 10:39 AM  
Anonymous Serviced Apartments Resident said...

It's really interesting to hear more about you! It's lovely that you consider your godchildren as your children!

June 24, 2014 1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page
web site traffic tracking
Matchmaking Services