Tuesday, May 08, 2007

gate crash trash

My late teens through to my early 20s was an intense, non-stop time of weekend partying for me and a dedicated group of friends. One well-meaning invitation to a party would result in 20 or 30 of us turning up. We revelled in it. I was reminded of some of our antics when I came across this article today. Whilst I'm aghast at the extent of the damage caused by gatecrashers at this party I'm also a little bit amused (and thankful it wasn't my house) because I know exactly what can happen when rampant youth is mixed with booze and somebody-else's-home-minus-the-parents. I'm too ashamed to go into details of my own miscreant behaviour back then, although the scale wasn't as great as in this article. And in my day (ha!) we weren't into drugs (that came later), but we were aided and abetted by decent party music including songs by Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics, who were very popular at the time...

10 Comments:

Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
I too am glad that wasn’t my house that was so brutally trashed. I wonder how long Lola’s “indefinite” grounding was for. If I’d have done something like that when I was 16-years old, I’d never have seen the light of day again!

Thanks for the enlightening post…..

May 08, 2007 4:43 PM  
Blogger nash said...

I had a few parties at home when I was a kid - sometimes without my parents' knowledge, except for that one time they came home unexpectedly. Luckily there was never any damage.

May 08, 2007 5:22 PM  
Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
You were fortunate! Were your parents upset? I might’ve tried it if a friend of mine who lived 4 doors away hadn’t thrown a party when her parents were out-of-town which wound up completely out of control. People were crashing it and eventually the cops were notified and of course her parents were told (as if they couldn’t see the damage the minute they walked in). She spent the entire summer on restriction…and helping get the house back in shape. That was a wakeup call for me.

May 09, 2007 2:08 AM  
Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
Here’s a link to an article about a similar party that occurred in Soquel (near Santa Cruz); guess it’s endemic to young people when they advertise their party on “MySpace”. Party

May 10, 2007 12:48 AM  
Blogger Brechi said...

Wow, I stumbled into the Sydnew, Australia blogs. That was the best place I ever lived :)

May 10, 2007 1:24 AM  
Blogger nash said...

Hi Miss Litzi,
Thanks for the link - seems this is going on all over the place. In my day it was all done over the phone. I can't imagine how many people would've turned up to parties if we'd had MySpace

Welcome Brechi,
Thanks for dropping by. No doubt you'll find more Sydney bloggers if you check some of my links...

May 10, 2007 10:19 AM  
Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
I hope that by publishing some of the nightmare results, kids will stop and THINK before they use MySpace to advertise their parties!

May 10, 2007 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nash, do ya know who sings this - "Sweet dreams are made of this..."?

May 13, 2007 10:30 PM  
Blogger nash said...

Hi Sheila,
Yes I do know who sings that song - you n me on the dance floor at a party in 1983!

May 14, 2007 10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Annie Lennox was born in Aberdeen,Scotland on December 25, 1954. Annie began playing music as child, learning how to play both the piano and flute.Annie's musical interest was evident to her parent from the time she was three years old...read more

May 29, 2007 4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page
web site traffic tracking
Matchmaking Services