Thursday, April 27, 2006

books, beer, a boogie n a bonk

So anyway, after our big night in front of the telly Cliff and I made plans to check out some of what Sydney has to offer. We headed for Circular Quay, but got as far as Pitt Street Mall. A visit to a music store looking at CDs of Dolly Parton, Olivia Newton-John and Donna Summer was followed by a long stint in a book store. Cliff recommended some of his favourites (David Sedaris, WG Sebald and Joseph Roth), which I've added to my list and then we found a new book on 50 years of Australian Television. We plonked ourselves down side by side in comfy chairs and stayed there for the next hour or two. When we'd finally finished pointing out all the mistakes in the TV book (and complaining about the dodgy photos) we'd run out of time to do anything else. We made our way back to my place and picked up where we left off the night before with plenty of beer and more episodes of Blankety Blanks.

Then it was off to Palms, my favourite venue on Oxford Street. Cliff hadn't been to Palms before and I knew he'd love it. It's been around for many years apparently, though I only discovered it maybe three years ago. They play great music, it attracts a friendly crowd and it's close to home. We got stuck into beer, then vodka then who knows what and we danced with glee to Dolly (Peace Train AND 9 to 5) and Olivia (Xanadu), but no Donna Summer. Somewhere along the line I met Jon. When we all got booted out of Palms at 3am we headed to one of the other bars on Oxford Street, but didn't last long. I gave Cliff the key to my place, said cheerio and went to Jon's house in Alexandria

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you're a bit of a man around town now aren't ye!

April 27, 2006 11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page
web site traffic tracking
Matchmaking Services