Wednesday, December 06, 2006

a step in the right direction


During the course of the 8 weeks I just spent being an actor I came across an auction site for a place in Melbourne that deals in memorabilia and other stuff - autographs, antiques, ephemera etcetera. By chance, I found one auction lot containing old theatre programmes and photographs, including some with autographs. Amongst those that were signed was one of Bettina Welch. I've posted about Bettina before - one of my favourite actresses from Number 96 in which she played arch bitch Maggie "bloody" Cameron. The lot also included an autograph of Letty Craydon, a character actress from stage and screen who died in the 1960s. For a long time she was married to Ron Shand - another favourite cast member from Number 96 (he played Herb Evans). And finally, in the selection of programmes and autographs was one from Natalie Raine. Natalie was an actress/director who died about eight years ago. She also happens to be the first acting teacher I went to when I was about 15. It means a lot to me to come across something personal of hers at this time in my life. I placed my bid on Monday night a week or two ago and headed off to my acting class. When I returned home later that night I had no idea if I'd won - in fact the next day I thought my bid hadn't even been considered and someone else had won the treasures. Then I received an email confirming I was indeed the winning bidder. What a joy! I'm hoping they'll arrive this week. What impeccable timing. I can't wait


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nash,
Congratulations on winning the programs and autographs of Natalie Raine! Does running across this memorabilia from your first acting teacher qualify for your “coincidence file”?

December 07, 2006 4:30 AM  
Blogger nash said...

Yeah, ML, I'd say it does qualify!

December 07, 2006 10:14 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

Hi Nash
I too have been searching for information about Natalie Raine and Gordon Boyd, both of which were working for Reg Grundy in a talent quest calked Showcase 65 & 66. I wonder if any tapes from that era were amongst your valuable treasure?
I can be contacted on mixdbag@bigpond.net.au Kind regards Allan

December 03, 2013 5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page
web site traffic tracking
Matchmaking Services