Tuesday, October 30, 2007

ears n ears

My sudden departure from Sydney 3 months ago was aided by a phone conversation (landline to landline, thank you) with my Mum during which I mentioned I was thinking of returning to Melbourne. My parents do the grey nomad thing every year so Mum suggested I could house-sit their place in Croydon, Victoria where I grew up. For 4 months

So that's where I am. Back where it all began. Before I left Sydney I stayed with my lovely ex-missus, her partner and their 3 girls for a week in which I felt like I was launching off into a new adventure. I'd been away from home for 7 years. I'm happy to be back. One way I decided to look at this new chapter is by imagining I'm leaving high school again. What would I do differently this time round? How can I be more prepared, have clearer direction to set a prosperous pathway into the future. Life, career and the whole darn thing. And of course that includes a relationship (despite having cancelled my profile "LatinoLooks" on the gay dating site. I was on 7 hotlists you know. Sizzling?)

Croydon. I'm living in the same street (different house) where I lived from around 1974 to about 1990. I'm spending time with family and friends, seeing plays, shooting pool, planting beetroot, picking beans, missing my friends in Sydney and the blogosphere, avoiding doing my tax return (what the hell, I've got until tomorrow), celebrating birthdays, meditating, working, smoking and drinking Dad's home brew, writing, walking and catching trains. And I'm bumping into people all over the place. People from my past. People I haven't seen for years and years. But I still nose ya

10 Comments:

Blogger FireHorse said...

This is turning into a monthly blog. I'm glad that you are settling in and enjoying the experience of being back home, both Melbourne and Croydon.

I left a message on Saturday night at the number you gave me. Is that still the correct number?

"what the hell, I've got until tomorrow" lol For some reason I feel that I've heard this line before. <:D-

October 31, 2007 12:41 AM  
Blogger Campbell said...

Good to hear from you Nash. I hope you're enjoying life at the moment while you plan for life in the future. How many of your old neighbours are still living in the street?

October 31, 2007 6:30 AM  
Blogger Wayward Son said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 31, 2007 7:51 AM  
Blogger Wayward Son said...

(there was an unfortunate typo in the deleted comment)

I think you are taking advantage of the well known circumstance of "absence makes the heart grow fonder." It would be hard to argue this as, if you are, it is working. I do like when you pop up on the radar in the comments gallery so I shouldn't complain, especially in the guise of a compliment. What can I say? I am a conflicted person, a term I prefer to passive-aggressive, who has developed an affection for your thoughts.

Smells like teen spirit to me. Enjoy!

WS

October 31, 2007 7:57 AM  
Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Nash,
Alright! You’ve given us a glimpse into your new life in Croydon, Victoria. It sounds idyllic. You’re in a neighborhood you’re familiar with and meeting up with people from the past, as well as having time to reflect on new and different paths for your life. Maybe you could put that accounting course you took last summer (your winter) to use. Ha! Are you still corresponding with Gypsy? You really have been granted a “new lease on life” which is something a lot of people don’t receive. Use it wisely, mate!

You’re gardening? Do you find it peaceful and a good time to reflect on more meaningful things? And smoking again….Well, join the club. Any idea what you’re going to do when your parents come home from their “grey nomad thing”??

It’s delightful to have you blogging again.

October 31, 2007 11:43 AM  
Blogger S said...

Who says you can't go home?

That's a rhetorical statement, isn't it?

October 31, 2007 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beetroot? Isn't that a little extreme?
And you have taxes there? Same here! What are the chances!

October 31, 2007 4:09 PM  
Blogger FireHorse said...

Who's a funny old man then Marc!

November 02, 2007 11:06 AM  
Blogger nash said...

Don't talk to me about taxes. I'm on the phone to the Tax Office right now waiting to hear if I can have an extension to lodge my return...

In the meantime, I'll respond to your comments...

Got your message FireHorse. I was away for the weekend (country NSW) and didn't come home 'til late Monday. Talk soon. Btw, I've just been given until Nov 15th to get my tax shit together. Yippee!

Campbell, it's interesting that you ask about my old neighbours... I can feel a new post coming on about this very shortly...

Wayward Son, I actually like unfortunate typos, so don't feel you have to delete them in future. As for being "conflicted" rather than "passive-aggressive" I think I'll adopt this term in future. And thank you for showing my thoughts some affection. They need it!

Hi Miss Litzi,
Yes, I'm still corresponding with Gypsy. I'm about to head home to Croydon soon and see if I have another letter waiting for me (I'm in St Kilda at the moment). As for smoking - it's that homegrown "catnip" that I'm inhaling from time to time. Yes, I love gardening! As for what happens when my parents come back - my original plan was to be long gone by then, but look at the time - November already. Crikey!

Welcome Steven. I checked out your blog the other day and liked what I saw. Keep the rhetoric coming...

Just remember Marc, you can beat an egg but you can't beat a root. So next time you're in Croydon do pop in...

November 02, 2007 12:00 PM  
Blogger Litzi said...

G'day Nash,
The homegrown catnip you’re inhaling from time to time sounds charming. If you need someone to water and cultivate the plants, please let me know….

November 02, 2007 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page
web site traffic tracking
Matchmaking Services